Discussion forums allow individuals to engage in text-based conversations inside pre-created categories. Forums differ from chat in that messages are publicly posted and made available to other attendees. Often times forums enter around specific topics and encourage group discussions.
In this article:
- Log into the site
- Go to your dashboard
- Select "Forum Access"
- Add Categories
- Add Custom Branding
- Enable the Forum for Attendees and/or Booth Admins
- Manage Discussions
Step by Step Walkthrough
Step 1 - Log into the site
Find the “Login” button in the upper right-hand corner of the site’s homepage or login directly from the site’s login screen.
Step 2 - Go to your dashboard
If you are not taken to your dashboard after logging in, click your name and then "My Dashboard" in the upper right-hand corner of the site.
Step 3 - Select Forum Access
From the dashboard, find "Forum Access" in the left-hand side navigation bar.
Step 4 - Add Categories
Discussion categories must be created first before posts can be added by individuals. Categories can be anything from "General" to "Session Topics" for example. To add a category:
- Select your name in the upper right hand corner, and select "Administration"
- Next, select the categories option from the left hand menu, then click the "Create Category" button
- Once the window opens, add a name for your category, a description, and the color.
- Note - the color must be entered as a hex color code For example, blue would be #0000ff)
- Once the category is added, reposition it to be a "Primary" category. This will allow others to post in it.
- Note - You can add subcategories to primary categories by dragging 1 or more other categories underneath a primary.
Step 5 - Add Custom Branding
Customize the colors and add a logo and favicon to your forum by selecting "Appearance" in the administration section of the forum.
Step 6 - Enable the Forum for Attendees and/or Booth Admins
As a default, the forum is not enabled for attendees or booth admins until the option is turned on by the site administrator.
- For attendees, turn on the forum by adding the "Forum" tile to the attendee dashboard.
- For booth administrators, enable the forum by adding the forum option to the booth admin dashboard.
Step 7 - Manage Discussions
As attendees and booth administrators add posts to the categories you have created, you may need to moderate some of those discussions. You can comment on or delete any active discussions as a site administrator.
- First, find a discussion you would like to moderate. By clicking the discussion name in the main feed or by selecting the categories on the left hand side.
- Second, click "Reply" on a specific post or the main discussion post and select whether to reply to or delete the thread.
Note - Individuals may flag other posts as inappropriate. Manage those notifications using the flag icon next to your name in the header of the forum.